TopBand: Conditions Bad or Excellent?

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Conditions Bad or Excellent?
From: rikik@inter.net.il (rikik@inter.net.il)
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 03:05:17 -0800

With a Geomagnetic Storm and skyrocketing A and K indexes, I would
expect the band to be quite noisy and rather worthless.  I found just
the opposite - rather quiet band and excellent DX conditions.  Worked
HC8N @ 0418, VK9YY @ 2250, and TZ6VV @ 2255.
HC8N and TZ6VV were both new ones.  These QSOs were all on February
19.   Am I to conclude that high A and K indexes mean great Topband
conditions (?!), or perhaps that there is little correlation between
these indices and conditions, or is there another explanation?

73,
Riki, 4X4NJ