TopBand: Good conditions return to the southern hemisphere

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Good conditions return to the southern hemisphere
From: sire@omen.com.au (Steve Ireland)
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 1999 06:56:55 +0800
After a  couple of weeks away on holiday, the band seemed in as bad shape as
when I left - dead, dead and dead, despite FB propagation in the northern
half of the globe.  In the last two days, things have really picked up.

T33RD peaked RST589, with much heavy QSB down to S3, last night, working JA
(lsn 1908) and Txing 1828, from between 1045 to 1155Z.  Unfortunately, with
the sunrise here not until 1030Z - and working late - I missed the window
when he was lsning up 5.  Up till yesterday, I had heard nothing at all on
160m from the T33 gang.  I will try again tonite..

This morning bagged Mark EL2WW at 2217Z, with FB signals peaking 569.  He
pulled me out from the EU pile-up and deserves a medal for his excellent
operating technique - been trying for Mark for several months, but no real
good conditions.  Also heard was CN8WW - last heard on 1826.41, but he seems
to move about a bit and mainly listen on his own frequency.  No luck with
this one, although he peaked S5 - 6, but the Eu pile-up was too hard to crack.

Good luck to all - and its nice to be back.

Vy 73,

Steve, VK6VZ