Topband: CFA Antenna

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: CFA Antenna
From: manyoaks@easynet.co.uk (Manyoaks)
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 1999 14:06:19 +0100
JAA26776
Sender: owner-topband@contesting.com

I was travelling when most of the posts were placed on this subject - but
thought you might like a view from someone who has met Hatley.

Hatley has been around for years with 'quirky' antennas for limited space.
He advertises in RadCom (RSGB magazine) every month.  I looked at the CFA
about 5 years ago and when I was in Aberdeen, Scotland in the summer of
1995, fixed to go and see him.  He was then operating out of the back of
his garage while still lecturing at the University (maths I think).  he was
working on the CFA and the EMDR ("lay on the roof" or "pull round the
walls" device for those unable to hold up wires on poles - covers all HF
bands ~$400)

I told him I was sceptical and asked to see real field trials results etc.
- there were none at that time.  He did however provide quasi-academic
papers and a few write-ups in unknown-to-me AM Broadcaster's mags.  The
'tests' they had done in Scotland would not pass simple experimental
rigour.  I'll be interested in the LV paper which I assume will need to
have factual back-up.

I did a bit more research and concluded two things:  one - the theory was
suspect (as Tom says) and two - if it really worked the military would have
taken it on and Cushcraft/GAP etc. would be producing them in volume!  I
have yet to hear of anyone who has tried or is using one.

If anyone is still curious then Hatley advertises them as follows:  CFL 1.9
(90cm) £110 (about $180), CFL 3.6 (60cm) £80.  Let me know how you get on -
my money is staying in my wallet!

Chris G3SVL