Topband: DJ8WL

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: DJ8WL
From: K1ZM@aol.com (K1ZM@aol.com)
Date: Mon, 3 May 1999 07:49:39 EDT
Hi Gang

I thought I might add a few more lines about the passing of Peter, DJ8WL.

It is hard for me personally to imagine his being gone as it was just one
year ago that Peter and I spent 4 wonderful days together at the
Friedrichshafen HamFest.

There were no signs (at that time) of the bone cancer from which he died so
suddenly but that's how life often is - so we must all cherish the time we
have with family and friends - it may not last long.......and surely does not
last forever.

Peter earned his place as a truly outstanding operator and GENTLEMAN on
Topband - and was currently exploring the 137Khz band with an experimental
license at the time of his death.  He was one of a handful of amateurs around
the world to have achieved WAS, DXCC and WAZ-40 on Topband - a feat made even
more remarkable when one considers that most of his accolades were earned the
hard way with only a single inverted L - which was later supplemented briefly
with a second in order to snag his last remaining zones for his 160M WAZ.

I shall remember always Peter's kind assistance with my book, "Dx'ing On the
Edge... The Thrill of 160M!" as Peter provided stories, pictures and audio
input for the project.  In short, he was a silent "partner" on the research
effort - and without his help, it would have a far less complete history of
Topband.  It was MY HONOR to sign over to him a copy with serial number 001
one evening last June over dinner at F'haven....I wanted him to know his help
was appreciated, because it was.

Like others, I shall miss Peter enormously.  It is hard to accept that our
friend is gone.....He was an inspiration to us all - he will be MISSED.

73 Jeff

K1ZM@aol.com