Topband: 5u7dg lowbands

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: 5u7dg lowbands
From: vk3ajj@techno.net.au (vk3ajj)
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 17:08:09 +0000
Hello All.

Thanks to those who responded to my original post regarding 5u7dg (Dan) and
his request for help to get on the low bands.

At this stage the main thrust of the replies has been to encourage Dan to
home brew some antennas and an offer has been received to mail a copy of
John's (on4un) lowband antenna book. I have sought some further information
from Niger as to what materials are readily available to Dan and the
response is posted at the foot of this email.

We have to remember that not everyone has the time, resources, passion,
local Ham assistance (and in the Sahara - trees) etc etc to homebrew
"highly efficient" antennas. Its on this basis that commercial antenna
manufacturers continue to make a modest profit in the Ham Radio world.
Nonetheless Dan is committed to try.

I will contact respondees directly regarding their offers of assistance.

By the way, Dan has in fact been in Niger since 1977 but is of course new
to the world of dxing.

Thanking you

Paul (vk3ajj)

from 5u7dg

"I can get my hands on a variety of materials although aluminum tubing may
be a bit iffy, but you never know till you look and beat the bushes at bit.
Wire & coax, I have.  The book on low band antenna construction would be
helpful.  One of the most helpful things I have may be our tin roof which
is about 30 feet square( if someone was thinking of a vertical).  I do have
limited space to work with, having neighbors on all sides.  I'm all for
taking up the challenge of building something good myself and learning at
the same time.  I don't have a lot of time for trial and error and
therefore need a push in the right direction."