Topband: Not in the Log

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Not in the Log
From: S21YP@granger.bdonline.com (Bob G3REP)
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 06:12:24 +0600
UAA15443
Sender: owner-topband@contesting.com

Please spare a thought for the guy at the other end of the non existent QSO.

While P29PR I received a card from a station who thought he had worked me.? I
returned the card and stamp indicating that he was not in the log and listing
the stations in my log around the time he thought he worked me.

I received an abusive reply saying that he was one of the calls listed since
it was the time of the QSO and the call I had given was not listed and it was
him I had worked at that time.? Consequently he still demanded a QSL.? In my
mind I had worked? W*ABC whilst he was W#XYZ.? If I remember correctly there
was no resemblence at all in the calls.? If there is more than 80% match I
normally err and send my card off.? It rarely happens.?

I had been gone to great trouble during the "opening" to ensure calls were to
my knowledge correct.? Calls were often eeked out of the S9 plus QRN, often
three or more times correcting the call until I was sure I had it right and
the station the other end was the call I was giving .? If not then that station
would correct me until we had a two-way.? This process could take anything
between 5 - 10 minutes.? Meanwhile others had to stand by causing great
frustration but all on the freq could understand the problems I was having
receiving.

But as one station said the op at the other end is not necessarily functioning
110 %.? Sometimes I have a little time, or am just too tired to give a call
knowing that it will be hell for some timeif I stay on the air. I often start a
CQ call I? with one (bait!)? - CQ de S21YP listen, CQ de S21YP, listen until I
get a reply I then work that station not giving my call.? This helps keep the
alligators away.? Often the far end realises the trick and just gives his call
and we exchange details, etc.? Once he has asked for the QSL info a few more
are waiting in the wings to pounce on the prey.? It may be frustrating for some
but I do not have the time to run many QSOs without impacting my other
responibilities.

You know if you have worked the guy, do not send a card on the off chance he
will agree with you.

PS?? anyone going to Asia Telcom ?? 22-25 June see you there !!

Bob Parkes
S21YP, G3REP,
ex-4S7RPG, A45XF, P29PR, VS5RP

Project Manager - Granger Systems,