Topband: Connecting radial systems together??

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Connecting radial systems together??
From: W8AV@aol.com (W8AV@aol.com)
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 18:42:58 EDT
YES YES YES  Connect the radial systems together.  they will only improve the
efficiency of the whole antenna system.  It is always a desirable condition
to connect the ground systems of phased arrays together to have a common
ground plane for all the elements.  This eliminates any possible losses or
mismatches in the  path for the return currents for the whole array.  I
connected the ground system, for my 80 triangular meter phased array together
and connected the whole shebang to the ground system for the 160 meter base
insulated vertical which is the support structure for the 80 meter array.
This technique improved the ground system for both antenna systems.
As to how to connect the ground systems together, run a ground radial from
one element to the other and also run a transverse wire (radial) at the
midpoint between the two elements (this radial runs perpendicular to the
tower line).  Better yet use copper strap rather than radial wire, if you
have access to it for a low cost.  Run another transverse wire/strap between
the 160 antenna and the 80 meter array only if the radial systems will
overlap.  Then shorten and bond all the radials that intersect this
transverse radial to this radial.  That is how we do it in the broadcast
industry.  It makes the ground system one contiguous piece rather than having
two or more separate ground systems for the same array.

73....................de Goose W8AV