Topband: Connecting radial systens together- thanks!!!! de W0AH

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Connecting radial systens together- thanks!!!! de W0AH
From: W0AH@aol.com (W0AH@aol.com)
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 1999 20:53:10 EDT
     Wonderful response from the fraternity.  Thank you all.
Since my original Hytower and radial system have been up about 10 years (with
the radials now buried under vegetation), I can't really interconnect the
radials that cross each other, which several of you recommended.  Several
said that running a single wire, even large guage wire, between each of the
three radial systems, would not accomplish anything.  Several others
disagreed.  Since no one suggested that it could possibly hurt performance,
and because it is so easy to do, I plan to do it using 1" diameter stranded
aluminum wire that I am presently using as a 160M radial.

     ANOTHER QUESTION:  My 90' 160M vertical is about 300 feet from the
house.  I am presently using several pieces of Belden 9913, hardline, and
some RG-213 with barrel connectors to create a 300' piece of coax.  Today at
a hamfest I bought 100 meters of CCI/Saxton 8421 M17/16400000 M-C-17 OLWG7
cable.  I've spent an hour trying to find the specs on this RG-8 size cable
which has a double braid shielding.  The braid appears to be silver "plated"
or tinned. Saxton doesn't have a webpage. An hour of searching hasn't
resulted in any information.  I wonder if anyone on the reflectors knows the
impedance, velocity factor, and attenuation of this coax or where I could
find this information.  I'm hoping that 300' of this Saxton cable at 1.8 MHz
will have less one dB attenuation and be suitable for feeding the vertical so
that I can use the other hodgepoge of cable, which probably has less
attenuation, to feed a 4 element 20M beam going on top of the 90' vertical
for top loading.

Doug  W0AH   ex-W2CRS  K1UGQ  WB2LNA W3IFA  KN8BAJ