Topband: Good Conditions 13/08/99

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Good Conditions 13/08/99
From: sire@omen.net.au (Steve Ireland)
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 08:29:00 +0800
Around 1000Z - just before my sunset - I happened to be in the shack and
heard Jeff K1ZM calling CQ - first time for a couple of weeks I have heard
anything at this time.  A few minutes later Jeff was in the log and I then
worked a string of stations mainly in the eastern half of the USA - WA7L,
NA2D, K3OSX, W3MC, W4RM and W8JI. Most signals were around S4/S5, with the
exception of K1ZM and W8JI who were stronger.

There was heavy QSB on the signals, with heavy rain static at this end.

Later, after 1230Z, I came back to the band and worked a pile of west coast
stations - W7OE, W7LR, N7UA, VE7ZO, K6VX, K6UA, K7LXC(?), KH6AT and W2VJN.
Signals were not as strong as Mike VK6HD/Bob W7LR had reported the previous
night, but Bob N7UA and George W2VJN peaked around S8.

Activity levels down at the VK/ZL/Pacific end seem fairly low right now,
but should hopefully improve as the season gets really started at the end
of this month.  I guess 5W1, T31 and ZK3 will be on the band in the next
couple of weeks, with the upcoming DXpeditions.

It has been good to hear Dale K6UA on the band and I have had several QSOs
with him.  My first lowband CW QSO with Dale happened around 25 years ago
when I was a mere lad of 17 and running 10W DC input (5763 pa valve) to a
trapped vertical on 40m. That was a real blast!

At sunrise the following morning, I heard Mike 6HD working several
Europeans, including DJ2BW who was peaking S6/7.  Unfortunately, activity
seemed fairly low and my CQs on 1830 went unanswered.

Mike and I are active every day at our sunrises (around 2218Z for me,
Mike's sunrise is around 5 minutes earlier at present).  Mike is usually on
1.832MHz, while I can usually be found around 1.830MHz.  Both of us are
usually active sporadically throughout our evening period (North American
sunrise time).

See you on the topband!

Vy 73,

Steve, VK6VZ