Topband: BEVERAGE ALONG FENCE

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: BEVERAGE ALONG FENCE
From: magoo@isp.on.ca (BILL MCHUGH)
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 07:15:24 -0400
fence-bound friend, here it is.

Length about 800 ft NW.  Wire is spaced about 4 feet above the top wire of
the page fence-that is, about 8.5-9 ft above ground.  Wire slopes at each
end for about 30 ft at the terminated end and 50 or so at the fed end.  At
terminated end, wire slopes to the fence and then to ground rod and
termination.  We did not ground the fence to the ground rod but aim to try
that to see what happens.

Someone suggested a counterpoise on the ground below the bottom wire of the
fence but we did not try that.

The antenna works but we have no idea of F/B until we get the other one up
in the other direction.  Even then it will be an unfair comparison as the
lengths will not be equal-the second one can be only 500 ft long.

We used 680 ohms termination as that provided reasonably flat response up
through 9 mhz.

Bill, VE3CSK