Topband: Preventing toothache on topband

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Preventing toothache on topband
From: sire@omen.net.au (Steve Ireland)
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1999 06:41:43 +0800
In the last month, I have become aware of a new and nagging source of
electrical noise in the house on 160m.  Right in the middle of a DX
pile-up, I would notice a sudden increase in electrical noise from nothing
up to S8/9.  After a few minutes - enough to lose the DX - the noise would
drop away to nothing.

I mentioned the problem to my wife Deb, who immediately identified its
source - the charger in our new electrical toothbrush/plaque remover.  Deb
had accidentally sat her medium wave receiver next to the charger and had
noticed a drastic increase in noise.

The problem only occurs during charging cycles and is easily fixed by
making sure the toothbrush is removed from its place on top of the charger
when DXing, so the charging cycle cannot occur.  However, when the
toothbrush is in place and charging, it is the worst source of electrical
noise on the topband in the whole Ireland household.

These devices are excellent for dental health, but very bad news for 160m
operators.  If you have one, get a portable MF receiver and check it out -
you may get a nasty shock!

Vy 73,

Steve, VK6VZ