Topband: noise source narrowed down-

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: noise source narrowed down-
From: Dinsterdog@aol.com (Dinsterdog@aol.com)
Date: Sat, 9 Oct 1999 13:26:51 EDT
No, not the famous 80 meter buzzsaw.......this is the noise I asked for help
on re: 160 10 KHz hummm yesterday-

Ok, the noise has been isolated to the number one antenna port on the
Ameritron RCS-4 antenna switch-

Any one of the four bevgs, when hooked up to it- pick up the 10KHz spaced hum
which generates a 10 over nine noise- - the other antenna's have it but at a
very low, almost unnoticable level-

Disconnect any of the antennas from the number one antenna port- and poof-
it's gone- as is the slightly detected hum on the other antennas-

So it takes any one of the four beverages I have, to be hooked up to the
number one antenna port,  for the noise to show up- disconnect port one, and
my troubles go away-

bummer as I thought just switching to the number one port, with or without
antenna would do the trick to generate the hum.....thinking it was a noise
rectifier problem...........but if the antenna is not hooked on the port one-
everything is clean-

The good news is that it is not a local or regional humm....electri fence,
cable box etc.......

The bad news is that this is the 2nd Ameritron RCS-4 I've tried that has gone
bad- the first one almost burned my house down- ...bad AC module.......now
this one has a simple, I hope, problem to fix- if I can fax the schematic to
anyone who wants to take a crack at it- let me know- what ever is used to
filter out any potential AC noise in the unit via the number one antenna port
seems suspect-- I'd really appreciate any thoughts- thx!! 73  Paul  N0AH