Topband: Re: ON4UN Antenna

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Re: ON4UN Antenna
From: royanjoy@ncn.net (Roy Koeppe)
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 1999 12:38:17 -0500
"Toroids are lucky to make a Q of a hundred unless the reactance
required is low, and they suffer from heating because losses are
concentrated in a small area that isn't exposed to airflow."

Hi Tom,

Well,

I'm still running my T-400-A core in the PA tank as L1 in the PI-L net
on 80M and did it on 160M for years at 1300 watts output.  Have felt
it after hours of CW use rag chewing and it was always at the ambient
temp. in there like everything else. Conclusion: it was not very lossy
in this demanding application. I do see powdered irons used in some
antenna tuners too. A few watts dissipation up near the top hat of that
vertical would not likely be noticeable? (Think of the ground losses by
comparison).

73, TNX         Roy           K6XK          Iowa