Topband: hot openings

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: hot openings
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 1999 07:43:09 -0500
About 0500, 160 opened into Europe with one 599 plus sig from a
DL station running 80 watts! Definite vertical polarization, the
dipoles were down at least 10 dB. EL2RF was barely readable, but
4X4DK was loud (earlier).

This morning, while VK6HD was running USA stations, a few
Russians (like RU0AI and ) calling him were readable through the
USA pileup. One was UA3DVC (I'm pretty sure it was not a busted
call), who called Mike for quite a while.

Now where is he at? That has to be a haul from here!!

T30CW popped on about 12Z (after daylight), and was fairly strong.
W4ZV (further east) was also hearing him well then and I think
worked him.

At 1230Z I'm listening to two S-9 spanish-speaking pirates on
1908kHz AM with CB -bird -sounds on their microphones...no
callsigns.

160 is gets like ten meters at times.
73, Tom W8JI
w8ji@contesting.com