Topband: ZX0F Summary Report

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: ZX0F Summary Report
From: K1ZM@aol.com (K1ZM@aol.com)
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1999 13:58:01 EST
boundary="part1_0.d8554732.255c6bb9_boundary"
Sender: owner-topband@contesting.com

--part1_0.d8554732.255c6bb9_boundary

Hi Gang

Here is a ZX0F summary report prepared with PY5EG.

Hope you enjoy it.

73 JEFF

K1ZM@aol.com

The ZX0F Story - CQWW SSB 1999 Multi Multi Operation
by Atilano de Oms Sobrinho - PY5EG

Initial Planning - The Stage is Set=20
A major multi-transmitter/multi-operator entry during the 1999 CQWW SSB
Comp=
etition has just been completed from the Brazilian Island of Fernando de
Nor=
onha under the special callsign ZX0F. =20

Led by Atilano de Oms, PY5EG, and organized under the banner of the
Araucari=
a Dx Group of Parana, Brazil, and with a great support from the
Bulgarian te=
am, an International crew of (12) contesters from Brazil, the USA,
Bulgaria =
and the UK began arriving on the island in late October in order to
particip=
ate in the contest from 29-31 October 1999. =20

Members of the team included:

Brazil

PY5EG - Oms - Team Leader
PY5CC - Peter
PY5GU - Gus
PY2KC - Rod

Bulgaria

LZ1JK - Vasko
LZ1JY - Nick

USA

K1CC - Rich
K1LZ - Krassi
K1ZM - Jeff
K2DM - George
N5FA - Jim

UK

PY5ZBU - Don

Support Team
David - Telecommunciations
Nicolau - HF Antenna Rigging
Andre (PY0FF) - Our Host and Facilities Provider

A few special words need to be said about our host for this operation.
Our =
host was Andre Sampaio, PY0FF, and the operation was conducted from
Andre's =
 lovely bed and breakfast known locally as the "Pousada de Morena" on
Fernan=
do de Noronha.  While Andre did not operate or specifically work with
the te=
am during the contest, it would never have taken place without his
friendshi=
p and full support.

The idea for this operation was originally conceived at the Dayton
Hamventio=
n in May 1999 when Krassi (K1LZ) and Oms (PY5EG) met and agreed to make
a se=
rious attempt in CQWW SSB using (6) six new ACOM auto-tune amplifiers
for th=
e operation.  Krassi wanted a chance to test the performance of his new
ampl=
ifier line and Oms wanted to see how competitive an International score
coul=
d be made in the highly competitive multi-multi class from a deep South
Amer=
ican location.
    =20
By way of background, the Arauc=E1ria DX Group had already achieved
several =
records in both the WPX and CQWW contests operating in the Single band,
Sing=
le-Op allband, and Multi-single categories from the existing contest
station=
s of the Group.  One is normally operated with the call sign ZW5B from
the P=
Y5EG home-QTH , the newest one is been operated with the call ZX5J from
"Boa=
 Vista Mountain" near Florianopolis  Sta. Catarina. In Fernando de
Noronha I=
sland, the very well known Araucaria Dx Group has also built up a very
compe=
titive contest station normally operated with the special callsign ZX0F.
The=
 property is quite small and does not have sufficient space for a true
multi=
-multi effort.  Actually, it is better suited for multi-single,
single-op al=
l band or single band operations.

Even considering these limitations, the Group decided to go for a
multi-mult=
i effort with the main objective of learning some of the most important
tech=
niques for such operation, and also to enlarge the know-how for a big
future=
 project. The idea is to build a contest station specifically dedicated
to t=
he multi-multi category.=20

During the summer and early fall, intensive preparations were made and
the g=
roup used email and the Internet to finalize arrangements.  Logistical
plann=
ing was an enormous task and included many advance shipments to the
island. =
 These included the Acom amplifiers, thousands of meters of coaxial
cable an=
d wire for the antennas as well as helium gas for supporting various
lowband=
 wire antennas. The experts in software also worked very hard to learn
and a=
dapt CT to DXTELNET, and how to put both on a reliable communications
networ=
k for use in a contest.=20

The plan was to run with stacked monoband yagis for 20, 15 and 10
meters, tw=
o monoband yagis for 40 meters and wire beams/verticals for the lowbands
80 =
and 160M.  Phased beverages would be employed in order to optimize
reception=
 on 80 and 160m.
One of the biggest challenges was to solve the problem of intra-station
inte=
rference between the stations due the congestion of antennas on a small
piec=
e of land.  Nick, LZ1JY, and Krassy, K1LZ, did an extremely efficient
job on=
 this matter.  It was amazing how they reduced the level of interference
to =
a minimum in such a small place.=20

Additionally, the group would optimize its multiplier search efforts by
acce=
ssing several overseas Dx packet clusters in the USA and Europe using
the K1=
XX gateway in NH and the well-known Dx Telnet software.

Arrival on the Island

N5FA (Jim) and PY5CC (Peter) were first to arrive on the island on the
20th =
of October along with Nicolau, a trusted friend of PY5EG, who was the
group'=
s most experienced tower rigger on the team.  Although not an amateur,
Nicol=
au sure knows his way around towers and was very skilled in maneuvering
huge=
 monoband yagis with 15 meter long boomlengths.  He and Peter made it
look e=
asy - although we knew it was not!

While Peter and Nicolau worked optimizing the yagis, Jim, N5FA, set
about st=
ringing wire down to the beach through the jungle for the various
beverage R=
X systems.

On the 26th of October, members of the US and Bulgarian teams arrived
includ=
ing K1ZM, K1CC, K2DM and K1LZ.  (Fortunately for the team, our
telecommunica=
tions expert, David, who is not an amateur but, rather, an employee of
Inepa=
r, Br who works for Oms also arrived this day to help with CT and
network pr=
eparations.  We soon learned that David was **damn good** and without
him we=
 would not have kept our network working for very long.  It seemed he
was ev=
erywhere before and during the contest making sure all the computers
stayed =
up and on-line).
Due to a very congested business schedule, PY5EG Oms, PY5ZBU Don and
PY5GU G=
us, arrived on the Island only late Wednesday.=20

The group by now had divided itself into teams:

Station Setup team
Lowband Beverage Team
Network Team
Highband Antenna Team
A/C Power Hookup Team
Station Interference Minimization Team

Work proceeded almost 24 hours a day for the next three days until
finally t=
he crew was ready to go for the start of the contest.  Only short breaks
wer=
e taken for a minimum of sleep and for the taking of meals in Andre's
very f=
ine Italian restaurant - the finest on the island.

0001Z 30 October - The Race is ON!

With several exceptions, the group shared operating responsibilities and
mos=
t operators got to operate on ALL the various bands at one time or
another. =
 Oms specialized on 40M SSB and operated the first night on that
difficult b=
and making around 1000 Qs, but other ops on the team also got to try
their h=
and on 7Mhz on the second day as well.  Everyone got the chance to
experienc=
e the high QSO rates possible using a rare call sign from a rare country
- i=
ncluding our developing younger operators on the team.  That's what
contesti=
ng is all about - trying to bring along new blood into the hobby and
then te=
aching them how to operate successfully in a major competition.  We feel
we =
did a good job with this part of the operation.

As the contest progressed, rates peaked over 250 contacts per hour at
severa=
l times on the individual higher bands and the overall CT rate meter
peaked =
at nearly 1000 a number of times during the best European runs on the
higher=
 bands at sunrise on Saturday morning.

At the end of the first 24 hours we had 11000 QSOs and we felt that we
could=
 reach the 20,000 target Qs we had set for ourselves at the start of the
com=
petition.  But, we were totally wrong. During all the afternoon of the
secon=
d day and portions of the night we had a propagation cloud over us on
all ba=
nds and the rate dropped to a very low mark.  On the second day we made
only=
 56% of the Qs of the previous day!!!.

When it was all over, the group was generally pleased with a solid score
out=
come of over 50 Million points - the highest score ever made from deep
South=
 America.  While it is somewhat disappointing not to *win* the contest
outri=
ght, each team member recognized the geographical distances involved
between=
 PY0F and the USA and Europe - knowing that teams like IG9A, CN8WW and
PJ4B =
were more favored operating locations.  Considering our distance from
Europe=
 especially, we were very pleased with our results.

Our CLAIMED SCORE breakdown is as follows:

      160      260      754     2.90     17      56
       80      806     2338     2.90     28      97
       40     1638     4790     2.92     35     128
       20     4027    11881     2.95     40     169
       15     4742    13872     2.93     40     179
       10     5462    15720     2.88     40     187

     Totals  16935    49355     2.91    200     816  =3D>  50,144,680

Aftermath

On Monday, the troops began scattering as soon as a ZX0F group picture
was t=
aken with the ACOM amps in front and El Pico in the background.  Pico is
a 3=
00m tall rock outcropping that defines the island from a distance and
lies j=
ust to the West of the shot from ZX0F towards the USA.

K1ZM, K2DM, K1LZ, K1CC, LZ1JK and LZ1JY hung around the island just long
eno=
ugh to go touring on Tuesday after all the lowband antennas had been
disasse=
mbled.  The group enjoyed snorkeling with the dolphins and cruising the
Nort=
h side of the island most of the afternoon.

Like all good things, this operation had come to an end and the last of
the =
team said it's good-byes to Andre at Noon at the airport on Wednesday, 3
Nov=
ember.  This gave Andre, PY0FF, some much-needed "peace" on his lovely
islan=
d and a chance to put his bed and breakfast back in some semblance of
order =
following the wild events of the preceding two weeks!

Where Do We Go from Here?

Well, it is hard to say for sure.  But, the team felt a definite kinship
(br=
otherhood) among the group and will consider another effort at a point
in th=
e future - possibly for CQWPX SSB in March 2000.  This may be attempted
as a=
 Multi-Single or Multi-Multi either at ZX5J in Santa Catarina or at Oms'
hom=
e station at ZW5B in Curitiba, or even another operation from ZX0F.

Many thanks to all of those who worked us.  It was our pleasure
operating at=
 ZX0F and we hope to see you from the next operation.  Qsl's for the
ZX0F op=
eration are via PY5EG.

Our best thanks also to, ACOM, DXTELNET, CT(K1EA Software), WX0B (ARRAY
SOLU=
TIONS),  and especially to K1XX for the extraordinary support with our
packe=
tcluster link.

What we will always remember - our best results of the contest:

1) The contest family we formed   (Bulgaria+USA+Brazil+UK) fantastic!.
2) Effective solutions to station interference elimination   (Thanks
LZ1JY+K=
1ZM+K1LZ)
3) Computer network (Thanks to David + Krassy + K1TTT + K1XX)
4) Low band reception beverages (Thanks to N5FA + K1ZM)
5) Multiplier passing (Thanks to N5FA )
6) How to build up antennas in a small area efficiently (thanks to PY5CC
and=
 Nicolau)
7) How to keep our equipment running (Thanks to LZ1JK+PY5ZBU)
8) Hospitality  (Thanks to Andre & Morena)

Thanks also to God for this Gift!!!!

73 and hope to CU in the next one,

Oms - PY5EG

--part1_0.d8554732.255c6bb9_boundary--