Topband: Wire Vertical advice

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Wire Vertical advice
From: AA4NC@aol.com (AA4NC@aol.com)
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 1999 21:11:58 EST
In order to improve my 160 DX /contest totals, I want to try a full size 160
wire vertical on my 120' grounded tower.  I've heard a bottom feed with 3 or
4 elevated/insulated radials is the way to go. In order to clear multiple
antennas, I need to bring the feed away from the tower base at approx. a 30
degree angle. Other considerations: a 160m and 80m inverted vees are mounted
on PVC pipes at the top of the tower. All guy wires are insulated
(Phillystran).

What does the assemblage of Topband gurus here think of this installation vs.
 other possible options (inverted L, gamma match, etc.)? The other possible
installation that would fit here is an inverted L with 80' vertical section
strung between 2 towers. Gamma matching would be very hard due to several
sidemounted yagis on this tower.

Can the inverted vee at the top of the tower peacefully co-exist with this
vertical?

How much of an effect does the wire not being totally vertical have on
performance?

Any words of wisdom would be appreciated...

73,

Will AA4NC
aka W4MR