Topband: 160 Update - 0245z 22 November 1999

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: 160 Update - 0245z 22 November 1999
From: btippett@alum.MIT.edu (Bill Tippett)
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 11:02:37 +0000
>From K1ZM at A61AJ:

Hi Bill - This written at 0250z

Thanks for getting on and working me - you were the **only** NA signal I
could hear tonight.

I didn't work much:

I got all set up (finally) at 0005z and found G3PQA calling CQ on 1829Khz.

0016z G3PQA
0030z RZ6ASO
0036z LA3XI
0042z VQ9QM (LOUD!)
0110z RU0AI (Z18)
0118z RK9AY
0121z LA5KV
0125z OK1FM
0148z SM6DYK
0206z RA4FHA
0229z W4ZV

Your signal was **very** thin and quite weak - I'll bet I was the same.  I
heard you call the first time and I was pretty sure it was you - but I
wanted to hear the call again first - then, it was quite obvious who it was.

(Jeff was 449 here and not moving my S-meter but fairly readable from 0227
until around 0247...de W4ZV)

Sigs really were "way off there" in my ears Bill.

I then IMMEDIATELY called CQ on 1823 QSX 29 - but heard no callers.

After about 5 mins, I called CQ simplex on 1823Khz again and got a "PK" out
of it and then daylight hit here.  (This was W4PK who called once but
apparently was not hearing Jeff...de W4ZV)

The opening here is very, very short indeed - it seems to occur right at
sunrise and lasts only for about 5 mins - BUMMER.

It is probably a better (longer) opening under better condx - G3PQA said
that condx were well down tonight from his end into NA, and I would have to
say it was even worse over here!

Here are a few things to pass on to the guys on the reflector:

1) For some reason, SM's and LA's are LOUD really here - as are RZ6 stations
and most stuff out of the Western part of the USSR.  G3PQA was 589/599 as
was G3RLF/p.  ON4WU (whom I did not work) was about 569/579.

2) There are all sorts of digital signals over here -  one really LOUD ONE
is on 1824.5Khz that really hammers 1824.
I also observed that 1808-1809 is NOT clear here - so over in the states it
might be best to keep an eye out on 1809.5 EXACTLY which is very clear here.

Given the above, I am going to adjust my target XMIT/Listening frequencies
as follows:

XMIT - 1823 and 1805

Listening 1829-1832 (quite clear over here!)
low-end for USA callers 1809.5

Please LISTEN closely to what I am doing - I will probably start simplex -
and as soon as I work someone in the USA (and likely get spotted), I will
then call CQ and QSX either on 1829-32 or EXACTLY on 1809.5 for the USA.

I hope we get some better prop.

I am hearing very well - in fact, it is clear to me that I am outhearing my
XMIT signal (as was the case at ZX0F).  (Very true...most stations as weak
as he was last night do not come back immediately but he did and his
Beverage is obviously working well...if you get enough propagation to hear
him you can probably work him...de W4ZV)

So much for an inverted vee at 150 feet and 1.5KW!!

Tomorrow's work effort will be:

1) Start (like the dickens) on the two element phased vertical array for
XMIT - looks like I am really gonna need it.
2) Add a second beverage towards the USA/EU - to have a phased pair as I did
at ZX0F.

It is NOT likely that I will get the full xmit antenna finished tomorrow.

Rather, I expect I probably can get ONE radiator hung and a ground radial
system laid - and then come on tomorrow night with the VEE, one vertical and
a phased pair of beverages.

One more day, and then the full pair should be QRV I suspect.

This morning (after 4 hours sleep having arrived at 5AM) I set up my work
plan, prepped the beverage and inverted vee - then started in earnest on the
hanging the vee at about sunset.

I worked on the 150' tower under floodlights until 2AM - then strung out the
single beverage for NA and made all the requisite connections. I was finally
finished at about 2345z.

SO, I put in a 20 hour (plus!) day.

We will see what can be done today after about 4 hours sleep.

Pleae pray for some propagation!

It couldn't be much WORSE to NA at the moment from over here.

All the best,

73 JEFF

K1ZM@A61AJ