Topband: Delaware report

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Delaware report
From: jon.zaimes@dol.net (Jon Zaimes)
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 1999 12:33:49 -0500
It was encouraging to see the spots from JA of 9M6AAC, BY1DX and V85AA when
I arrived in the shack at 1115z today. But we had no copy on any of them!
So I started tuning the band and calling occasional CQs on 1827; as I
started another CQ at 1140z I heard someone calling between my signals (I
always use break-in). I paused and heard Gus KH2/K4SXT calling me! He was
449 on the Northwest (500-ft) Beverage; no copy on other antennas. I gave
Gus a brief report but when he came back he was down in the noise -- a very
short opening. No other DX heard through sunrise, but it was nice to have a
bit of life in the band.

Using break-in has often paid off and I would recommend it to all. Many a
times I have heard the band open and close on a DX stations long CQ without
any QSO resulting.

We'll be QRV at W3PP (also in Delaware) in the contest this weekend -- I'll
be 20m op but others will keep 160 warm through the weekend.

73/Jon AA1K