Topband: Reflector Delays

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Reflector Delays
From: btippett@alum.MIT.edu (Bill Tippett)
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 1999 22:06:42 +0000
Hello All!

        I'm back and just waded through 137 messages.  I've just posted
several BOUNCES, many of which are long delayed.  These messages
bounced because the originator was, in most cases using Microsoft OLE
for their E-mail program.  The default state of this program attaches
a complete repeat of the E-mail message in html format.  Majordomo
automatically bounces messages with html attachments because it doubles
the bandwidth consumed by effectively sending the message twice.  Please
set your defaults so that your E-mail does not automatically attach
html (SV8CS, N7UA, LU/KY0C, K8GG, W1CTU and W3UR take special note).

        Congratulations to N7UA and N6FF on the long path QSO's with
A61AJ.  This is a tough path but Jeff's results show what a knowledgeable
operator at a decent station can do.  I think this path is much more
common than most realize but it really requires Beverages at both
ends (pointed in the RIGHT directions) as well as an excellent transmit
antenna.

        I'm off on another trip next week (6Y5) but will leave someone
in control of the reflector.  Pardon the delayed messages but I did not
feel I could find someone to take care of the reflector over a contest
weekend so I left it on autopilot.

                                                73,  Bill  W4ZV