Topband: CQWW - strange prop. KL7

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: CQWW - strange prop. KL7
From: Kevin - NL7Z" <nl7z@mtaonline.net (Kevin - NL7Z)
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 1999 14:42:34 -0900
    I had a very strange QSO during the first evening of 'WW - at about
0900z I was called by UU0JX - I sent him my exchange and he sent his - "599
16" - zone 16 at 0900z? I asked for a fill and he confirmed zone 16.  I sent
him an e-mail and asked if he indeed was on 160 at that time - here is an
excerpt of his reply:

snip>>>>>>
Hi Kevin!
It seems to me today one miracle propagation - I never heard before KL7
on top band THIS TIME! But I've made this contact from Crimea mountains
(just came back and tomorrow continue contest from home position).
Operational point was from Chatyr-Dag mountain (1047m).
I don't make so serious effort in this test, just testing antennas of UU5J
gang for future operations.
I've been so happy to give you some points in this TEST.

So, more then in 4 HOURS after sunrise I heard your signals, but only 10..15
minutes and quite strong!!!
By the way, Crimea located in southern part of Ukraine (Peninsula in
Black Sea). QTH LOC KN74BX (home0) and operational point was in 30km
to the Southwest from this point.
73! Yuri, UU0JX   === 28 Nov.1999
snip>>>>>>>>

I have never seen propagation like this before on 160 - working zone 16 is
hard enough from KL7 - but to do it 4 hours after sunrise is in my opinion
highly unusual -

Has anybody experienced this before - BTW - I have worked EU in the middle
of the day from here ( 61.5) but have never heard of it done from 46
deg......

I hope all did well in the contest - I had more than usual noise here on the
second night - my apologies to those that I couldn't copy - I know there was
a K1??? that tried many many times - sri om..

73' es cu on "THE BAND"

Kevin   NL7Z

Kevin Forster   NL7Z    nl7z@arrl.net