Topband: Delaware report -- JA openings

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Delaware report -- JA openings
From: jon.zaimes@dol.net (Jon Zaimes AA1K)
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 1999 12:54:26 -0500
Today was a repeat of yesterday's nice JA opening -- several heard but none
worked! VK6HD was again the first DX, about 1130z. JA1HQT was first in at
1141z, then JA1CGM, JA8ISU and JA1JRK. Signals down a bit from yesterday --
JA8ISU and JA1CGM were loudest but only 559. JA1JRK stayed in the longest,
dropping out about 1222z.

On Thursday, calls heard were JA1HQT, JA0MVW, JH1HMT, JA1CGM, JA?SVK, and
JH0?N?. JH8SRI was the loudest, peaking 579 right at our sunrise (1202z).
JA1HQT was the last one heard, at 1215z.

Signals both days went back and forth between the West and Northwest (JA)
Beverages (500-600 feet). Noise level was very low at our rural QTH in
central Delaware.

Using 1.5 KW and a 100-ft vertical here, but the radial field is only about
1/8 completed. There will be parasitic reflectors/directors too. Initial
reports have the vertical as much as 2-3 S units better than the Inverted L
(70-ft vertical) with 8 raised radials that we have been using the past two
years.

I'll be QRV at sunrise every day, and will be in the ARRL 160 contest this
weekend.

73/Jon AA1K
Felton, Delaware