Topband: BEVERAGES ALONG FENCE LINES

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: BEVERAGES ALONG FENCE LINES
From: magoo@isp.on.ca (BILL MCHUGH)
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1999 07:58:22 -0500
A few months ago we erected a couple of Beverages about 4 feet above a wire
line fence.  They worked and were certainly better than no Beverage at all.
But operating over the past few months has shown that they are somewhat
noisier than Beverages not close to the fence.  We eventually were able to
move one Beverage about 15 feet away from the fence and the general noise
level on it dropped considerably.  I wonder what would happen if the antenna
were offset on bent supports just a few degrees from the fence.

In a not-so-ideal world, though, these Beverages over the fence do quite a
good job.  The exercise in erecting them was worhwhile.  I am wondering if
we should have played more with the terminating resistors and also the
matching transformers to see if juggling values would lead to a lowering of
the noise level.

My friend is on the air and working DX which he probably would not be
hearing without these antennas.

Bill, VE3CSK