Topband: Adding Radials

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Adding Radials
From: kaufmann@ll.mit.edu (John Kaufmann)
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 1999 15:03:50 -0500
At 12:30 PM 12/22/99 -0500, you wrote:
>I was curious
>about the correlation between the direction of the radial layout and signal
>propagation.  Am I best off in adding a few more radials in the direction I
>wish to improve propagation, or is there little directive correlation?

Radial layout in the near field has little or no influence on
directionality.  To see any improvement in a particular direction you would
have to add at lot of very long (many wavelength) radials in that
direction.  You would do best to lay out your radials in an evently
distributed way, although you reach the point of diminishing returns when
the radials become clustered together more closely than about .02
wavelengths at their tips.

73, John W1FV