Topband: hurricane & propagation

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: hurricane & propagation
From: df2py@t-online.de (DF2PY)
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 1999 15:47:26 +0100
hello topbanders
Yesterday a Hurricane struck the EU-mainland.Max velocities were 267 km/h.
Thats a good 150miles per hour.Over 40 people left dead.last nite a smaller one
came thru the same path,not doing too much extra damage.Lots of antennas were
lost in the ham community.fortunately in this area the speeds did just reach
120km/h.All my antennas stayed up.Unfortunately with the storm accompanied
was a
higher noise level from static rain and static charge separation in higher
altitudes.Propagation was nice to NA.Lots of activity but it could have reached
out farther west if QRN had been lower.I could not use the standard 900`bev.Too
much noise.Used a 300`instead which wkd vy good and got most of the noise away.
It seems to be a good choice to have a long and a short beverage for main
directions,as i found the white noise being extremely reduced on the short one
with only a minor sacrifice of signal.That is in my experience about 12 to
15 db
less noise and about 2 db less usable signal.It might be an answer to noisy
band
cndx.Best dx was N7JW,W7LR and N7NG               hpy nw yr     df2py