Topband: Skewed Path

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Skewed Path
From: rmread@nortelnetworks.com (Robert Marshall-Read)
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 08:07:36 -0600
Topbanders,

At about 45 minutes before sunrise here in Buenos Aires the noise dropped
from the usual S9 to about S3 (about 0810Z).

A few minutes later, while switching receive antennas from the phased flags
on a northern heading to the TX flat top, I accidentally switched in the
western flag that was I was going to take down this afternoon.  On my QRG
KV4FZ, and a pile up suddenly appeared at S5 to S7.  It was the first time a
I have actually heard stations calling and the first time all were readable.
The high angle TX antenna which normally is the sunrise winner was four S
units below the low angle western antenna on receive.  Herb later reported
my signal to be incoming from what appeared to be west from his location.

After KV4FZ, W7EKM was worked and peaked 589 on the last transmission.  N7FU
was also worked, with many other stations calling just above the noise as
the sun rose and the band died.

All signals of the stations worked today were more than three to four S
units louder on the western heading than the TX antenna and the northern
phased flags.  It would appear to be a 90 degree skew, with low angle being
dominant.  ZL3REX was also heard with rapid QSB on the western antenna, but
faded after just a minute or two.

Still here, sr and ss, 1831, but listening west now and again.

73

Bob

LU/KY0C   G4VGO