Topband: XZ0A Finally!

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: XZ0A Finally!
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2000 09:48:39 -0500
Congratulations to Bill and everyone who made the grade today.
They also replied to several people who never responded to them,
so they were hearing well today.

They guys at XZ0 are amazing. They are on for hours at a time,
sometimes going long periods digging in their noise without a
contact and still hanging in there! That's some of the most
dedicated 160 operating I've seen in a while!

SW path dominates from here in the morning, SE path in the
evening...but I still check all my antennas. Today was the first good
Beverage day, all other days the verticals received much better.

73, Tom W8JI
w8ji@contesting.com

P.S.  I would add the following to what Tom said...the SE/SW paths are
probably most dominant for those of us in the Eastern half of NA.  For
those in the Western half, your predominant direction will be NW at
sunrise.  For those in the extreme NE (W1/VE1) don't forget to ALSO check
NE after your sunset.  It is not unusual to see the path swing between
SW and NW during the morning or between SE and NE during the evening (on
the same day!) depending on the amount of common darkness left on the path.
As Tom says, check all your antennas!  73 de W4ZV