Topband: High Beverage noise

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: High Beverage noise
From: k6se@juno.com (k6se@juno.com)
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2000 12:59:28 -0800
Thomas, KN4LF wrote:

".... That also happened to me on a EWE I had terminated towards the
south. An electric fence zapper 1 mile south was +20 over S9 but
inaudible on the other three."
=====
An Ewe terminated toward the south should have a null toward the south,
therefore the electric fence noise should be minimized if the Ewe is
working properly.  But the Ewe sounds like it is not working properly,
possibly because of its proximity to a 160m transmitting vertical (or
inverted L), or it is not optimized for size and termination resistor
value for the local soil conductivity.

The best way to get rid of the electric fence noise is to fix it at the
source.  I live in a area that is zoned for light agriculture and have
had dozens of noisy electric fences crop up in the area over the past 24
years at this QTH.  I have never found a defective fence charger -- it
has either been the hot fence wire arcing over to vegetation which has
grown and is touching the wire, or is arcing across a fence insulator.
Also, an animal may have dislodged the hot wire and the wire may be close
to or touching a regular not-electrified wire and is arcing over to it.
The fix is easy in all cases -- trim the foliage, correct (reattach) the
dislodged hot wire, or replace the defective insulator.

If the fence owner is uncooperative, hint that the arcing might start a
fire.  That will worry him enough to get him to fix it.

73, de Earl, K6SE

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.