Topband: 240' tower

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: 240' tower
From: w8ji@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2000 12:00:07 -0500
> This is very hard to do..a half wave wants voltage on the bottom and I
> assume the bottom of the tower is grounded and not insulated. To make it
> work you would have to tap up the tower 20 or 30 feet  with a very low
> loss gamma system and try to resonate that bottom piece with a high
> voltage capacitor. You would then electrically have your 1/2 wave tower
> sitting on a 20 foot insulator. This has the risk of being very
> lossy...the voltages are high...and the bandwidth narrow. John  K9DX

Not only that, a tapered tower looks much shorter electrically than
a uniform cross section tower.

The 240 foot tower will probably work more like a 1/4 wl tower than
a half wave, which might be a good thing.

I have a 318 foot uniform cross-section tower on an insulator, and it
is actually much worse than a 200 foot tower at night for most
distances (as much as ten dB). It is a few dB better during
daytime, especially on groundwave.

73, Tom W8JI
w8ji@contesting.com