Topband: 2 wire beverage - transformers

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: 2 wire beverage - transformers
From: w8ji@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2000 18:28:36 -0500
The antenna in figure A will be a poor performer no matter what you
do with transformers because grounding one wire and leaving the
other open does not behave anything like a reflection transformer.
It's good you dismissed that scheme.

> The 2 wire beverage is 10' high with a spacing of 1' vertical with #14
> wire and 580' long.

I have a 1500 foot long open wire feedline 12 feet high with 2.75
inch spacing. The ratio of height to spacing is pretty large, but
unless I transpose the wires every 1/4 wl or less it is impossible to
keep the line balanced!

If that were my antenna, I'd transpose the wires every 1/4 wl or
more often. In 580 foot of length, especially when wire spacing is
about 10% of height, the wire will unbalance itself a considerable
amount and the (balanced mode) connection to the far end will
become contaminated unless you electrically "twist" the wires. If
you look at any article on installing balanced lines, and even at old
telephone lines, the line is always transposed to insure balance.
The wider the spacing, the more often you need to transpose the
wires. John suggests that when he talks about using feedlines
to make Beverages.

It would be much better to mount the wires at the same height, so
they have identical exposure to earth along the length of the line.
Even then, they still should be transposed at fractional wavelength
intervals.

73, Tom W8JI
w8ji@contesting.com