Topband: Solar Storm Alerts

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Solar Storm Alerts
From: btippett@alum.MIT.edu (Bill Tippett)
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 11:47:41 +0000
Hi All!

        I recently read the aurora articles in the March issue
of Sky & Telescope that K9LA recommended.  They are very interesting
and well worth the cost of the magazine.

        One sidebar was about "How to Get Solar Predictions" on
page 45.  It mentioned that you can join a reflector which will
alert you to significant geomagnetic storms a day or two before
their arrival.  If you want to subscribe, send an E-mail to
Majordomo@skypub.com with only the words   subscribe sun-earth
in the text body.  You will then receive an authentication message
with a key which you must return (..works just like this reflector).

        Over the years I've found that interesting things happen on
160 during solar disturbances and thought you might like some advance
warning of them.  Fortunately the major Coronal Mass Ejection (CME)
event forecast for this contest weekend did not hit until late Sunday
afternoon and then only mildly affected the geomagnetic field.  I was
single band 10 and only heard slight aurora on JA signals.

                                                73,  Bill  W4ZV