Topband: CLIPPERTON2000 / PILOT STATIONS

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: CLIPPERTON2000 / PILOT STATIONS
From: pa1aw@qsl.net (Alex PA1AW)
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 17:59:56 +0100
CLIPPERTON2000  EXPEDITION ANNOUNCEMENT

As you all know, the Clipperton2000 expedition has been in preparation for
the past year. The group left the San Diego marina on board the Shogun at
midnite Feb 22, 2000. Assuming the boat averages the same speed as was
encountered on the 1992 Clipperton operation, it will be about 6 days of
travel time to get to the island. It may take the good part of a day to find
a safe landing spot and send the crew in to check out the landing site.
Thereafter, one could expect about 10-15 hours to bring in equipment and
setup the basic camp. As above, these assumptions are based on the
conditions that were experienced during the 1992 Clipperton operation.

There will be 2 pilot stations for the Clipperton2000 operation. Alex
(PA1AW) will be handling the European front and Jay (W2IJ) will handle the
remaining parts of the globe.

The team will be using the standard DX frequencies. They are:

SSB: 50115, 28475, 24945, 21295, 18145, 14195, 7065, 3799
CW: 50115, 28025, 24895, 21025, 18075, 14025, 10106, 7005, 3505, 1828.5
RTTY: 28080, 21080, 14080

PILOT STATIONS

We are here to pass data to and from the team on the island and while they
are at sea. We ask the DX community to forward their comments (pro and con)
to the applicable pilot station. Please keep the message brief as we expect
hundreds of comments early on in the operation. It will be our job to read
all the traffic and summarize the data to be passed to the team nightly. The
data passed will be used by the team to adjust, as required, the methodolgy
used by the operators of the team. We will also be passing data to/from the
families of the operators.

Data in the messages to the PILOTS may include: (1) Operator control of the
pileups (2) Split operation procedures (too big a split, too small a split,
etc) (3) time of day signals first/last heard and the paths (short, long) of
theses signals (4) all constructive comments

The pilot stations will also inform the DX community about the status on the
island and possible (forced) changes in the operating procedures. The pilot
stations will not answer any individual questions nor arrange schedules. The
role of the pilot station is to assist the expedition, whenever possible, in
being as successful as possible.

The Pilots email addresses are :

FOR W2IJ                pcb4u@earthlink.net (ALL BUT EUROPE)
FOR PA1AW               pa1aw@qsl.net (EUROPE ONLY)