Topband: Line noise

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Line noise
From: G3SVL@manyoaks.co.uk (Manyoaks)
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2000 09:49:17 +0000
I have a similar problem - and in my case it is caused by low voltage
(halogen bulb) lights - or more precisely the switching power supplies that
transform from 240 V to 12 V.  It is S9 on 80m and wipes everything down to
BC bands.  I traced mine with a ferrite rodded antenna in a portable AM
broadcast radio - that gave me the directional info I needed.  However the
wiring of the house radiates pretty well once the noise is in the system!

The only solution was to replace the switchers with regular ferrite cored
transformers.

Chris  G3SVL