Topband: The toughest QSO I can remember(CE0ZY)

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: The toughest QSO I can remember(CE0ZY)
From: KRAMIREZ@tritonpcs.com (Kenneth Ramirez)
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2000 08:21:21 -0500
             CE0ZY had a very good signal on 160m last night at around
0400-0430z.  I don't remember any qso I have ever had on any band that was
as tough as this qso last night. It felt like I was sending my call back and
forth for 10-15 minutes. He kept sending N4
?? He also said he had very bad qrn of S9 Plus and s9 plus 20 db. His signal
came up just a little bit and it was enough to send the UK of my call enough
times for him to finally get the full call and send me a 479. I was sweating
bullets as I needed zone 12 on this band. Kudos to whoever the operator was
for sticking it out for that length of time until I was in the log. Working
a new one this way sure beats a one call qso on the high bands!
             BTW, I was hearing the ce0 with no problems on my new( as of
Saturday) reverse fed 350 foot horizontal loop. This loop (diamond shaped)
is fed in opposing corners with an ICE matching xformer and each corner is
terminated with a 1200 ohm resistance. This loop antenna ( NW/SE)along with
my reverse fed NE/SW 500 ft beverage worked great nulling out the Northeast
over the weekend in the CQWW SSB contest. It if wasn't for the loop I
wouldn't have heard NL7Z who was not copiable on any of my other
antennas.Was on for 5 hours the second day and had 211 qsos,11 countries and
44 states/provs. I am having a ball on this band!
73 Ken N4UK
  South Carolina