Topband: Ground (or elevated) radials, material for

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Ground (or elevated) radials, material for
From: fkamp@home.com (fkamp)
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2000 00:33:17 -0500

Hello All,

I have an antenna question.  Specifically, I am wondering if
there is any advantage to using coax for radials.  No, I
have not lost my mind.  Last week my cable installer left me
with a couple thousand feet of CATV cable.  They did not
want to come pick it up.

Didn't surprise me.  Its nasty stuff.  Copper center like
RG59 but aluminum shield.  100 percent aluminum foil covered
by a slackly woven aluminum braid.  I suppose its 72 ohm,
but so what, I'm only considering using the shield (maybe
tie shield and center together, whatever works)and putting
up some radials for my new vertical.

Any thoughts on if the extra wire 'thickness' would be
beneficial?  Anyone know what happens to aluminum that is
burried and gets wet (fresh, not salt water)?

Frank Kamp
K5DKZ