Topband: Mark V FT-1000MP

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Mark V FT-1000MP
From: k6se@juno.com (k6se@juno.com)
Date: Sat, 20 May 2000 11:00:25 -0700
I talked to a rep at the Yaesu booth in Dayton today.  Also got a
close-up look at the Mark-V FT-1000MP.

The rep said the new model is in production and will hit the marketplace
in about 2 months.  The street price, including power supply will be
about US $3500.  The present MP will continue to be marketed for at least
the next 6 months and perhaps for 2 years or more.  The new model is
intended to be a replacement for the FT-1000D (Not for the MP).

All of the features of the present MP are retained in the new model,
although some different button-pushing is used to activate some of those
features (like filter selection, noise blankers and NB level, contour,
noise reduction, etc.)

Yesterday I said the space occupied by the EDSP switch was now a contour
switch, which was wrong -- it is the notch on/off switch on the new
model.  The contour switch (and other buttons supporting the new
features) now occupies the space used for filter selection on the present
model.

Needless to say, present MPs cannot be upgraded to the Mark-V.

73, de Earl, K6SE