Topband: beverages in woods?

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: beverages in woods?
From: nr1dx@cyberportal.net (NR1DX)
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 01:15:31 +0000
I have done it now from 3 different QTH,

Some hints:

1)Electric fence insulators work fine. I particularly like the ones which
require two screws and have a removable plastic pin. They are easier to put
the wire into and to make repairs to later. Local farm supply and feed
stores have the greatest variety.

2) Use #16 or #14 copper weld wire (steel core , copper jacket). It
survives the movement of the trees better during storms. I have used #14
and #12 house wire as well. Invariably it broke during  storms.

3) Go up to at least 8 or 10 feet above ground. At 6 feet the deer antlers
will still got caught in it and they will tear it down.

4) Get some of that bright orange or pink plastic ribbon from Home Depot.
Take the compass, start sighting and marking trees with the plastic ribbon
along the direction you want to run the beverage. You will end up with a
straighter line through the trees. Don't get overly worried about a little
zig zagging of a few feet if your trees don't end in a perfect line, do the
best you can with what ever mother nature laid out for you.

5) Do your thing with proper clothes and bug repellent, tics (and the
potential for Lyme disease) are a problem now that warm weather is upon us.
Obviously this is easier to do after the leaves are off the trees in November.