Topband: Good Receivers for Top Band

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Good Receivers for Top Band
From: k6se@juno.com (k6se@juno.com)
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2000 08:57:02 -0700
Kevin, K3ox wrote:

"I had a R4C many years ago, and found that much (not all) of the filter
blowby in this rx was actually signal leakage around the filters.  So I
spent an evening with copper pc board and shield material and empirically
found where the shields "needed" to be."
==========
One of the first things I noticed with my new R-4C in 1973 was
significant filter blowby.  I also added shileding in strategic places to
significantly reduce it, but I couldn't completely eliminate it.

My R-4C had the Sherwood 125 Hz filter in it, but none of the Sherwood
mods.  During 160-meter CW contests, IMD was quite noticeable with it.
Had I known about the improvement made by the Sherwood mods, I certainly
would have incorporated them.

In 1980 I replaced the Drake C-line with a Kenwood TS-830S which was
better than the unmodified R-4C.  IMD was still noticeable, but not as
bad.  In other respects the TS-830S receiver was great, and gave me 160m
DXCC #55 in 1984.

In 1998 I finally replaced the TS-830S with a Yaesu FT-1000MP.  IMD on
the MP is still noticeable from time to time, even less than the TS-830S,
and is never really a big problem.  The MP's noise floor was improved by
about 4 dB when I added the INRAD front-end mod.

73, de Earl, K6SE