Topband: Receivers for 160M

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Receivers for 160M
From: kolson@erols.com (Kevin Olson)
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2000 22:31:50 -0400
>Perhaps the best RX for topband is one-of-a-kind. I had a Squires-Sanders
>SS-1R

I have owned a couple over the years...the cw filter was pretty poor, and
sensitivity wise it was very mediocre (not really a problem on low bands but
a problem on 15 and 10). It was also prone to IF breakthru...a problem since
there was a strong BC station on it's IF (1 Mhz). But the front end overload
characteristics were strong (7360 mixers) and the AGC very good. I built a
cw filter using 6 1 Mhz crystals from surplus store and then it was a great
cw rx. It had a motor-driven main tuning knob for it's slide rule dial to
QSY between band edges. There was also a matching Panadaptor (never owned
one). One of the coolest exotic ham band rx, along with the Davco (probably
the first serious solid state ham rx), which I wish I still had.

Kevin