Topband: Please do check your log

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Please do check your log
From: thompson@mindspring.com (thompson@mindspring.com)
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2000 16:58:49 -0400

I am in the midst of checking the CQ 160 logs and firmly believe there are
some things you can correct in your log before submission.  I am in
agreement with the concept that what you copied should be the original, but
since 75% now use computer logs (diskette or email) here are two things to
look for and correct before submission.  These are deemed computer errors
not operator or keying errors!

1.    The mult has ///// printed.  This means that the program could not
        determine what the mult meant and in some cases this is added
        as a mult to the page and final totals EVEN in the case of a dup
        (have seen this twice).

2.    The points are not correct.  There were 6 cases so far of KH6DX/M in
        CA still listing 10 points for the QSO.   Change the call to /W6
        if your program cannot determine that CA is 2 points for USA or 5
        points for VE.   This also happens with calls such as WL7YM, KV4FZ
        (usually too few points).

General log comments:

I will have the facility to accept Cabrillo format in 2001 but the log still
must show points per QSO and whether a new mult.    The summary
must give the COMPLETE line score (Q's, points, W/VE mult, DX Mult, and
claimed score).   Please don't call your log submission RESULTS as the
results are not final until published in CQ, CQ France, or CQ Contest.

Have fun this coming season.

73 Dave K4JRB