Topband: Re: topband RX

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Re: topband RX
From: dhaupt@bewellnet.com (dhaupt@bewellnet.com)
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 16:37:54 +0000
Actually, given the number of emails we have seen
recently about flags, pennants, loops and other
negative gain receive antennas, it is surprising
that anybody would question using a sensitive
receiver on 160 meters.  As W8JI points out, you
can always put an attenuator inline with an
overly-sensitive receiver, but there is nothing
outboard that can be done to fix a poor IMD issue.

Given the RX antennas I'm going to be using, I'm
actually going to have to add preamplifiers to
them!

high level input mixers to sustain such a
signals.  Pair of power MOSFET would
do but they are not commercially offered as a
mixer...

Actually, you'd rather use a quartet of MOSFETS.
There are some in the Motorola MRF line that are,
I believe 30W RF power output capable with noise
figure of 7 - 8 dB.  I always thought they'd make
nice mixers, but other projects prevailed.

I always thought my IC-735 was a nice (but not
great) radio until I started trying to listen to
DX on 80 and 160.  It was nearly useless.
Switched to using a Drake R-4B and suddenly I
could hear.  The problem was PLL phase noise in
the Icom.  Not fixable with external anythings.

Dave W8NF