Topband: Stew Perry Fun Index

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Stew Perry Fun Index
From: jmaass@columbus.rr.com (Jeff Maass)
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2000 13:48:18 -0400
With my eyes open and my goals in mind, I ran HIGH POWER
in the 1999 Stew. I ran HIGH POWER in the 1998 Stew. I will
run HIGH POWER in the 2000 Stew. I knew that there was no
way to win the  contest under the scoring system when I made
my choices. Amen.

My goals were to maximize my QSOs and the number of grid
squares worked. I heard only a few Europeans (very weak and
thready), and no VKs or JAs. DX conditions stunk in Ohio. In
meeting my goals of QSOs/Grids, though, I succeeded beyond
my expectations, ending up as #1 in number of QSOs and #1 in
number of grid squares.

I like the idea of modifying the listing to break out the results
by power category for next year (and as the results have been
re-issued for 1999). I can compare my performance to that of
others in my power category, scored under the same mathematical
system (multiplier), and constrained to the same output power.

I don't concern myself with beating the artificial construct that
is the scoring rules, I want to beat my competitors in-class.
There are enough plaques offered in off-beat categories
that *everyone* has a chance to work to take home something
for the wall.

I was 39th overall. I was 7th High Power. I'll get a plaque for
working the most grid squares. I had FUN!

Philosophically, I'd rather have a Stew Perry Topband DX Challenge
than a Stew Perry Topband QRP Challenge.

Why not hold a QRP contest in addition to the Stew? I'd like to try
that, too!

73,
Jeff Maass       jmaass@columbus.rr.com     Located near Columbus Ohio
         USPSA # L-1192       NROI/CRO    Amateur Radio K8ND
    Maass' IPSC Resources Page:  http://home.columbus.rr.com/jmaass