Topband: Bizarre conditions 10/28 on top band

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Bizarre conditions 10/28 on top band
From: sire@iinet.net.au (Steve Ireland)
Date: Wed, 01 Nov 2000 06:51:32 +0800
K1HTV wrote:

>>It's interesting to see the comments about high angle antennas working
>>better than normal.  Unfortunately Frank hasn't yet been able to get up
>>the low 160M dipole that I've requested.

G'day Dick,

If Frank W3LPL can get up a 'low' dipole, preferably go for one around 0.25
of a wavelength high (or as high/close to this as possible).  One lower
than this is going to have more ground losses, with the same main radiation
angle of around 90 degrees.

My inverted vee dipole is around 90' at the apex.  It is a noticeably more
efficient high angle (and low angle) radiator than the previous inverted-U
diple around 50', giving a larger DX 'time window' at sunrise and bigger
signals.

Vy 73,

Steve, VK6VZ