Topband: Low Dipole Performance

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Low Dipole Performance
From: wpgerhold@longo-ind.com (Bill Gerhold)
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 10:06:04 -0500
I have what is considered a low dipole.  About 40-50 feet over it's
entire length.  According to some texts, this antenna is virtually
useless for DX purposes due to it's radiation angle of 90 degrees.
In the CQWW contest, I worked Morocco, Argentina, France
and some of the carribean islands.  This was done with difficulty
but numbers were exchanged.  I am thinking of putting up an
inverted "L" to achieve a low angle of radiation to help with the
distant stations.  My question is this, my dipole is a high angle
radiator (i agree with this), but is it also a low angle receiver?
In other words, is my high angle radiator also a high angle receiver,
or is it a high angle radiator and a low angle receiver or somewhere
in between.  If a distant station is using a low angle radiator will my
dipole receive it as a low angle signal or am I missing some of the
low angle signal and only receiving high angle reflections?
The answer to this will allow me to determine what direction I should
take with my antennas.

Thanks,
Bill
WA2AEH