Topband: Unident Signals and Dipole

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Unident Signals and Dipole
From: w8ji@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 19:18:30 -0500
Hi Bill,

Antennas radiate like they receive. If the ladder line is properly
installed and fed in balance, the radiation will be insignificant. If the
radiation contribution of the feedline is 40 dB down, it will be the
same on reception.

The USB stations very well could be boats. Fishing boats and
general boaters, both foreign and domestic, are now commonly
using the lower-end of 80 meters and the upper-end of 160 meters.

I occasionally heard some US fishermen on 1818 USB, but
managed to convince them to stay below 1800 or above 2000.
There are quite a few foreign fishing vessels on the upper half of
160 meters, and even some AM CB operators from Mexico
(complete with "tweety-birds", echos, and other sound effects).

I expect the lower frequency bands to eventually become like ten
meters, since large marine suppliers are selling amateur radios (a
company in Florida sells ICOM) to boaters.

73, Tom W8JI
w8ji@contesting.com