Topband: SSW propagation on 160m

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: SSW propagation on 160m
From: w8ji@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 17:58:43 -0500
K3NA:
>and do not know how the operators were determining bearings.

KH6O:
> I've been wondering that myself. Are you folks using a DF loop
> or an Adcock antenna to determine bearings? A loop would be
> subject to error, wouldn't it?

It certainly is valid to question minor lobe response from some
antennas, but I don't think that is the cause of skewed signals.

I use multiple arrays that are very well separated, with very low
minor lobe response. For example my eight vertical array has a
HPBW of less than 60 degrees, and the largest minor lobe is over
25 dB down. The pattern is very clean, and there is little if any very
high angle response in any direction. My arrays are well separated
from transmitting antennas or sources of re-radiation.

By combining arrays, and nulling the signal, they can indicate
direction within a few degrees under conditions of normal
propagation. From Georgia, I can resolve the difference between
two stations in New England that are only a hundred miles off line.

With that in mind, I absolutely never find a time when the vertical
arrays or combined arrays disagree with a single Beverage. That
makes me almost perfectly confident that reports of general path
directions from a station with multiple properly installed Beverages
would with great certainty get the quadrant correct.

Questioning the arrays is valid, but it is without doubt a dead-end
road when the antennas are properly installed. I think the reports
most of the serious DX'ers are reliable, since most of them pay
great attention to proper receiving antenna construction.

73, Tom W8JI
w8ji@contesting.com