Topband: For EU 160m ops .... QRN

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: For EU 160m ops .... QRN
From: Graham Mercer GM4BES" <g.mercer@btinternet.com (Graham Mercer GM4BES)
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 20:38:17 -0000
Fellow EU Topband Ops,

An interesting site that I have found on the Internet is:-

http://imkpc3.physik.uni-karlsruhe.de/wz/pics/Rsfloc.gif

This site gives an indication of the position of lightning strikes across
the whole of Europe and the North Atlantic. The strikes are colour-coded
according to the time of each strike.

I have found it very useful in determining the the source of atmospheric QRN
.. I am not able to use directional beverages to minimise the problem, but
at least I get a good idea of what to expect in the way of QRN!! ... It
could be very useful to those Ops who are fortunate enough to have
directional Rx arrays (or even a loop)

Good luck ... condx to VK6-land have been excellent for the last few days -
both to Steve/VZ and Mike/HD.

73 de Graham / GM4BES+