Topband: CQWW - VE3 Report

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: CQWW - VE3 Report
From: VY2MGY@IDIRECT.COM (VY2MGY)
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 11:43:33 -0000
Hi gang

I operated SOSB QRP 75 m for the weekend and noticed some interesting
propagation
from Ontario. Friday night I had no problem working into Western Europe
after 0100z but no
luck on the North - South path into South America and very limited success
into the Caribbean
- only a couple of stations.

On Saturday just the opposite happened - I couldn't work anyone in Western
Europe all night
but I was able to work 5 different countries at or just after their local
sunrise - with all 5 I had been
calling on and off throughout  the night without even getting their
attention, and then all of a sudden
I must have just popped out of the noise for a couple of minutes because
they all were able to copy  me
on the first or second try. I figure it must have been the attenuation of
local noise at their sunrise as
their signal was the same strength at my place all night.

Although I never did work YV1OB or HC8N [ and not for lack of trying let me
tell you ] I was able to
work all the Caribbean stations at their local sunrise on Sunday morning
that I couldn't work Friday
or Saturday night.

I wonder if the CME's and Major flares played a role in my being able to
work into Europe Friday
night with only 5 watts but not on Saturday ??

Also I was using my 160m 1/4 wave inverted L [ 55' high, 130' long, and 90
1/4 wave radials under it
- and sitting on semi-sandy soil, at an elevation of 1200' above Lake
Ontario ] can anyone tell
me what kind of radiation pattern this antenna puts out on 75m?

To me it seemed to do an excellent job both Stateside and DX. Am I missing
something ??

73 de Brian VY2MGY/3