Topband: Wideband Noise on 160

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Wideband Noise on 160
From: Michael Tope" <W4EF@dellroy.com (Michael Tope)
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2000 12:17:29 -0800
Hi Ford,

Sounds like you have established that the noise is not coming from
your receiver. The next thing I would do is try to establish whether
the noise is generated locally (e.g. within your neighborhood), or
from a distant location. The fact that it appears isotropic, suggests
to me that its being generated close to your shack. If it were coming
from an AM station 20 miles away, it would look like a point source
and you would be able to null it with the ANC-4. Can you rig up an
inverter and put the HP spec A in your car? If so, try working your
way out from your house to see if at some point the noise starts to
look like a point source (e.g. if you have a loopstick type antenna, you
would start to see an definite null at somepoint). My hunch is that its
somekind of appliance thats coupling junk into your local power lines
(this might explain the isotropic behavior).

Good luck!