Topband: WIDEBAND NOISE

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: WIDEBAND NOISE
From: w7my@yahoo.com (Greg Chartrand)
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2000 20:18:14 -0800 (PST)
I'm fighting a very similar problem at my QTH. In the
process I have discovered two very nasty dimmer
switches, a tv/vcr combo with a switching supply that
screams when the tv is OFF, a high efficiency bulb
that emits garbage near 160, and a Playstation that
contributes its fair share as well. When I operate
160, I have to walk through the house turning things
off and unplugging them. I'm still searching for my
principal noise source. Fortunately my MFJ 1026 nulls
it out but the null also gets Europe!

 I also discovered (but have not located) some sort of
remote telephone connection in my neighborhood that
puts out a 50db/s9 signal on 3530 khz. It operates
using narowband FM! I listen to their phone
conversations, faxes, and Internet sessions. I tried
transmitting on the same fq. and 1.5 KW doesn't bother
it!

My bottom line is that the FCC has allowed the EIA and
others to lobby for the manufacture this junk- and
with the softened part 15 rules, there is very little
we can do about it. Now the industry wants to use
spread-spectrum across HF as well. That will probably
finish us off. The ARRL better get us mobilized to
fight these battles. What's the use of protecting our
spectrum is the spectrum we have is not useable??

(Off soapbox)
Greg - W7MY