Topband: Question abt gain in bi- vs uni-directional Beverage

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Question abt gain in bi- vs uni-directional Beverage
From: w8ji@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2001 00:37:52 -0500
Hi Fritz,

Gain absolutely is meaningless in this application.

We can parallel two Beverages a small distance apart, sum the
outputs, gain 3 dB, and signal to noise will remain exactly the
same!  The result is you just waste wire.

S/N advantages come from the pattern (directivity), not the gain.
You want maximum null area in every direction except towards the
desired signal.

> When I answered that the uni-directional had more gain (e.g. in the NE
> direction) than when it was bi-directional, he said he didn't think that
> was the case, or at least the additional gain was only marginal.  My thot
> is that the gain is significant.  I've done some reading and can't find
> anything at by level that suggests yes or no to whether there is more
> gain.

Directivity is important, gain is meaningless.

> If the answer is that there is no appreciable additional gain with the
> uni-directional Beverage, then why does it seem that everyone makes their
> Beverage's uni-directional.  From my contesting viewpoint, the more I hear
> (excluding noise!) the better.

You can't exclude noise except by making the widest null area
possible. That's what terminating does.

73, Tom W8JI